If you are interested in finding ways in which you can effectively increase the value of your home, you are not alone. One of the surest steps you can take to increase the market value of your residence is to add new windows to your home. There are a number ways in which the addition of new windows to your home increases market value.
If you’ve not immediate plans to sell your residence, you may not be immediately concerned with the idea of increasing the property value of your residence. If you are beginning to formulate plans to put your home up for sale, increasing its market value if imperative.
The Balancing Act
The underlying dilemma of effectively increasing the market value of your residence is balancing what you spend for an improvement against the actual increase in the value. Unfortunately, what happens in many instances is that a homeowner makes an investment in improving some aspect of the property. He or she spends money to accomplish this objective. There is a bump in the value of the property. Unfortunately, the increase in value of the home is less than what is expended by the homeowner in making a repair or improvement.
Over time, the improvement may contribute to ongoing increase in the value of a residence. However, that is not helpful if the plan is to place the residence up for sale in the more immediate future.
A key way in which the addition of new windows adds value to your home is found in longevity. Properly designed and crafted, installed, and maintained windows can last for a significant amount of time. In fact, high quality windows are capable of lasting the lifetime of the home, provided there is not some damage done to them. As a consequence, the longevity of new windows is a factor that contributes directly to the enhancement in value of the property following installation.
If you are contemplating adding windows to your residence as a means of increasing property value, the warranty associated with the new windows very well may prove to be a valuable asset as well. In today’s world, a warranty on many newly installed windows follows the home. A warranty is portable. What this means is that the buyer of your home will be able to take advantage of the warranty in the same manner as you would have been able to do if you retained ownership of the residence.
There is one important caveat that you must bear in mind. If you are an avid do it yourself enthusiast, you cannot take on the task of installing windows with a warranty on your own. The bottom line is that the warranty associated with windows oftentimes is cancelled if the installation is not undertaken by an approved contractor. In other words, if you install these new windows yourself, you void the warranty.
Yet another reason why new windows will improve the market value of your home is energy efficiency. In this day and age, replacement residential windows are designed enhance energy efficiency in the property. In point of fact, the amount of money saved through the installation of new windows, when contrasted with costs associated with the old ones, results in the new windows paying for themselves over time because of lesser money being spent on energy.
Curb appeal nearly always is improved when new windows are installed at a residence. The fact is that many new windows today are nicely designed. They are designed in a manner so that many models of new windows are suitable for a wide variety of different types of architectural schemes.
Style. Newer pretty much always means more value, especially when it comes to new and impressive styles. Windows have changed a lot in recent decades, and out-of-date windows are easy to spot. Your home dramatically increases in curb appeal and modernization with the addition of new and well-designed windows.
In the final analysis, in some cases, depending on where you reside and the type of windows you end up having installed, immediately after installation, the increase in value for the residence as a whole is an amount equal to 95 percent of the cost of the windows. The remaining 5 percent is made up not long after that.
This is not a guaranteed return on the windows investment. As noted before, the payback on the increase in residential value can take a longer time to occur. Nonetheless, there are plenty of examples in which the market value improvement was been swift.
Jessica Kane is a professional blogger who writes for Scaffold Store, the favorite and trusted scaffold supplier of the largest contractors.